Week in the life of…


16th November – 22 November

The 16th November signaled the end of my (luxurious) maternity leave and the realization that  ‘normal’ life had returned. The hardest part of the morning was waking poor Jack at 6am so that I can drop him at childcare before heading to the train station and beginning the commute to work. I try and whisper his name softly in at attempt to not shock him awake, and he generally rolls around in his cot, pretending it’s a bad dream, grunting to himself. The first few days of dropping him off at 6:30 brought a few tears, but thankfully he appears to have settled in and now I can leave him without all the tears.  James suggested heading out for dinner after work, a) to celebrate my first day back, but b) I hadn’t managed to organise myself with preparing dinner. We braved Sanctuary Lakes Hotel and the buffet, which, Jack loved. He could have a bit here and there of nearly everything. Jeff joined us, the first time Jack had seen him since his holiday up north.

Jack managed to pick up conjunctivitis and an ear infection from childcare, so we didn’t go to swimming or baby time at the library. Nanny, Jack and I headed to highpoint on Wednesday for a brief look around – it really reminded me to get organised and start/finish my Christmas shopping!

This week we also gave Jack his trike, which is his first birthday present. So puppy, Dad, Jack & I have been heading out on the warmer nights, for a walk around the block. Jack also celebrated his first birthday party on the Saturday, firstly with friends, and later with family. I still have 3 giant animal head balloons in the dining area of our house. If they are anything like Jack’s ‘It’s a boy’ balloon that Jeff and Jordan bought when Jack arrived, I could have them for awhile!

Dad, Jack and I ventured into Williamstown on Sunday, once we’d attempted to clean the house after the party on Saturday. We had lunch by the water, before walking into Nelson Place and checking out one of the cultural festivals. Jack was mesmerised by the kids in the giant balls that were floating on water.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *